This Science of NFL Football: Geometric Shapes instructional video also includes:
Ever wonder why a football has such an unsual shape? Find out with this video from the Science of Football colelction that examines how the geometric properties of a football make it perfectly suited for being thrown accurately over long distances.
- Show this video during a middle or high school geometry unit to create cross-curricular connections between math, science, and physical education
- Following a viewing of this video, have students perform a short research assignment in which they investigate the shapes and properties of other sports equipment
- Ask students to create an equation for an ellipse that most closely resembles the cross-section of a football
- Engages learners by using sports to teach about math and science
- Uses diagrams to highlight the geometric and aerodynamic concepts discussed in the video