In the beginning, there was ... well, we don't know, exactly. Was there even a beginning to begin with? Amateur space scientists explore the nature of the origins of the universe in a brief video. Other topics include the misleading Big Bang theory, expansion of the observable universe, and the role religion has played in shaping our ideas of the beginning of time.
- Pair class members and ask them to create a comic strip based on this explanation of the universe's early days
- Extend the lesson by following up the video with current models that explain how the universe will age over time
- Be sure to preface the video by reminding learners to be respectful of one another's viewpoints on this somewhat sensitive subject
- Does not require any prior knowledge
- The narrator provides excellent analogies throughout the video to help pupils grasp difficult concepts
- Simple animations give visual learners a boost in understanding