Numbers that are very large or very small are difficult to express in standard notation. Pupils learn how to convert between standard and scientific notation. They also multiply and divide the numbers in scientific notation.
39 Views 48 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Ask learners to give reasons why scientific notation is important
- Invite pupils to read aloud numbers in standard notation and then in scientific notation
- Expects a familiarity with exponent rules
- The fourth in a series of 11 lessons
- Makes connections between the two forms and gives real-life examples
- Practice problem set does not include any rich application questions