Scientists use very large and very small numbers when measuring things. A Veritasium video explains how scientific notation simplifies these numbers. It offers examples of how to convert such numbers into scientific notation—and from scientific notation to standard notation.
- Create a worksheet to practice using scientific notation
- Challenge scholars to come up with other measurements that are so large or so small that notation would be beneficial
- Relies on prior knowledge of exponents, multiplication, and division
- Provides closed captioning for ELLs
- Ends with a challenge question and a link to learn the answer