This Scientific Themes in Personal Genetics lesson plan also includes:
Humans can be tested for the presence of the BRCA gene, whose presence is an indicator that they have a greater chance of acquiring breast cancer than someone without the gene. Viewers have an opportunity to explore how genes and environmental factors interact to influence health with a slideshow that reveals how genes can affect everything from susceptibility to cancer to reactions to medicines. Using this information, individuals also see how they might be able to predict their health and make appropriate life choices.
- After previewing the slideshow, embed questions every four to five slides to check for understanding of concepts
- Assumes learners have a basic understanding of genes
- The last installment in a series of 12.
- Provides explanations for each slide in first part of activity; also includes embedded links for further information
- Includes a quiz and answer key
- Activity requires scholars to sit and listen but does not provide questions for them to critically think through