This Serving Sizes lesson plan also includes:
When it comes to eating a balanced diet, portion control is paramount, but what is the difference between the serving size on the nutrition facts label and a portion as determined by the USDA? In a comprehensive look at portion control, kids will estimate and measure out serving sizes of four different foods, then measure out the stated serving size. To see the activity in action, watch the video included in the Additional Materials section.
- Fun and informative lesson
- Helps address the issue of obesity by encouraging kids to make healthy food choices
- Excellent background information for teacher
- Be aware that even young children are susceptible to eating disorders; evaluating nutrition facts could exacerbate this issue for some
- Can bring up sensitivity around weight for some learners