Every successful climb of Mount Everest can be attributed to the assistance of the local Sherpas. A short, informative article explains the history behind the Sherpa's involvement in Mount Everest expeditions, the physiological reasons for their hardiness in regions with low oxygen, and the heightened bodily risk to Sherpas compared to their fellow mountain climbers.
- Distribute the link for learners to read at home or on classroom devices
- Encourage class members to summarize the article and share their summary with a peer who has not read the original text
- Consider adding comprehension or discussion questions for learners to complete after reading
- The second half of the passage is accessible through the link at the bottom of the page
- Provides a thoughtful look at the Sherpa population
- Includes vivid pictures of Mount Everest and the surrounding areas
- Audio link is unavailable