This Shrink Me! activity & project also includes:
The incredibly shrinking meter—decimeters to centimeters, to millimeters, and now to nanometers! Learners may have a difficult time visualizing particles on a nanoscale. Help them see a little clearer using a well-designed lesson that allows them to explore the meaning of a nanometer. They take a good look to discover where the nanometer fits in relation to other measurements in the metric system.
- Incorporate as an introduction to the nanoscale
- Have pupils create a diagram of a real-life object shrunk by different powers of 10
- Review prefixes such as centi, mili, and deci prior to the activity
- Adaptable to different grade levels
- Provides ideas for extension