Show classes how to work their way through the algorithms. The long division lesson plan shows five algorithms in dividing multi-digit numbers by a single digit. The algorithms include partial quotients, stacking method, place value long division, traditional long division, and short division. Within the three examples, the methods deal with division with and without remainders.
- Group learners to get a balance of preferred methods to give everyone the experience of seeing and using a different division algorithm
- Time will vary depending upon the grade level and the experience the class has with long division
- Pupils should be comfortable with single-digit division
- Makes the connection between each algorithm
- Provides detailed discussion on what happens in each step of the algorithms