Selecting the proper measurement requires thought; for example, an odometer shouldn't be used to measure millimeters due to a lack of preciseness. An informative video from a Socratica playlist explains the importance of significant figures and the rules for using them. Then, it walks through examples of solving math problems when using significant figures and offers tips for applying the rules correctly.
- Create practice problems counting the number of significant digits
- Great as an introduction or a review of significant figures
- If young scientists aren't using log functions, skip the video from 8:14 to 9:31
- Useful for every science class from high school through college
- Clear explanation with many examples
- Includes calculating logarithms