This Sitting Bull: Spiritual Leader and Military Leader lesson plan also includes:
Sitting Bull was not expected to be a great warrior. Yet, he led the Lakota people and other tribes to several pivotal victories against the United States government when federal troops threatened their land. Using primary sources, such as contemporary newspaper accounts and a photograph, scholars consider the significance of Sitting Bull's leadership against injustices perpetrated by the American government.
- Use primary sources and questions to discuss stereotypes of Native Americans
- Have learners discuss the causes and effects of the Battle of Little Bighorn using the questions in the culminating activity
- One primary source is reading intensive and may be difficult for younger pupils
- Videos and primary sources balance written and visual sources
- Lesson plan is ready to use with graphic organizers and discussion questions included