Help your class understand the design challenges when trying to land a remote spacecraft on a planet. Class members examine the provided information to understand how each component of a spacecraft is designed in order to safely land a rover. The pupils find out that engineers can use everyday materials and technologies to accomplish this amazing feat.
- Divide the class into groups to research different ways to transfer some of the kinetic energy of the spacecraft into something else to slow it down
- Have the class watch the Entry, Descent, and Landing Video and brainstorm ways they would overcome the challenges
- The class should have basic knowledge about Mars and its atmosphere
- 10th in a 13-part series
- Includes links to several websites to use as extension activities or references
- Includes a vocabulary list and definitions used in the lesson
- Instructional plan is unclear