This Sliders (for High School) activity & project also includes:
Slip sliding away. Groups investigates the two types of friction by running an experiment that allows them to calculate the coefficient of static friction and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The experiment uses a box, a basket, and weights to collect the data needed for the calculations.
- Work some example problems using the formulas before having class members try some on their own
- The setup requires several sets of materials
- If your class does not have flat (horizontal) desks, make arrangements to get flat, elevated, horizontal surfaces
- The answer key provides examples that show the calculations
- The assessment section contains suggested questions for before, during, and after the activity
- The worksheet does not include the equations needed to do the calculations