Context is the key to understanding slope. A real-world application of slope uses a weight loss scenario with a constant rate of change to introduce the concept of slope of a line, before it makes a connection to the ordered pairs and the slope formula.
- Use to introduce the concept of slope and using the slope formula
- Allow pupils to use a graphing calculator to explore the relationships more efficiently
- The topic of weight loss may be a sensitive topic for some learners, particularly in middle school
- Can be used with a variety of reading levels and varying levels of guidance
- Incorporates a real-world example to improve understanding
- Provides handout with key and a detailed teacher guide
- Does not provide coordinate plane for questions that require graphing