Put the fun in physics with ferrofluid! Aside from making cool shapes when it interacts with a magnet, what else can we learn from ferrofluid? A video from an extensive physics playlist examines the similarities between the ferrofluid-magnet relationship, Earth's tides, and getting pulled into a black hole.
- Get some ferrofluid for your lab and ask paired pupils to design a magnetism experiment around it
- After watching the video, have the class brainstorm other magnetic relationships they could visualize using ferrofluid
- Learners should have an understanding of magnetic fields and gravity
- Slow-motion camera work provides amazing views of ferrofluid approaching a magnet held at different distances below it
- Explanations in the video are clear and scripted appropriately for beginning physics students