This Smarter Balanced Sample Items: 6th Grade Math – Target A assessment also includes:
Only in math problems do people buy 18 cans of tennis balls and no one wonders why. Scholars solve for the number of total tennis balls given the ratio of balls per can. This and other ratio word problems in a PowerPoint from Grade 6 Claim 1 Slide Shows allow scholars to demonstrate their knowledge.
- Use the first two problems as guided practice and then the last 10 as an in-class review before a test
- Turn it into a game show, having players poll the class before deciding their answers to earn points for their teams
- Assumes prior knowledge of ratios, percents, and how to solve word problems
- Includes both question and answer slides
- Applies ratio problems to real-life situations