Socratic seminars are a great way to encourage the development of critical thinking, speaking, and listening skills. And Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol is a perfect text for such a seminar. Use the questions in the packet to stimulate rich discussion of Dickens' tale.
- Instruct groups to craft open-ended discussion questions for the staves
- Have class members assume the role of discussion leader
- The resource presumes participants are familiar with the protocols for socratic seminars
- Includes question for staves 2, 3, 4, and 5
- Suggested responses are provided for each of the questions
- A majority of the questions are more leading that open-ended