This Sojourner Truth: Abolitionist and Women’s Rights Activist lesson plan also includes:
Scholars dive into the life of former slave, abolitionist, and women's rights activist Sojourner Truth. Using video evidence, speeches, and primary documents, class members complete a project on a current "Truth-figure" they see in today's world.
- Extend the lesson by using PBS videos on Frederick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Role play Truth's speech by reciting it out loud for the class to hear, not just read
- Lesson should take 40 minutes, so remember that for pacing
- Provides extension opportunities with additional video resources from PBS
- Resource contains printable worksheets and graphic organizers