This Solar System Launch activities & project also includes:
Trying to understand the vastness of outer space can be quite a challenge for young scientists. Help put things in perspective with this cross-curricular activity as students work in pairs creating scaled models of the solar system, before launching straw rockets to see how far they can travel through space.
- Complete this activity during an upper-elementary or middle school astronomy lesson on the solar system
- Extend learning by having students research different space missions and the distances they covered
- Activity requires sets of solar system stickers for each pair of students, which will have to be purchased ahead of time
- Resource provides a clear list of step-by-step directions for completing a scale model of the solar system
- Includes a table that supports students with calculating the scaled distances between planets
- A document is included that helps teachers set up a spreadsheet for recording and graphing the distances the straw rockets travel