This Space Shuttle Ascent: Altitude vs. Time lesson plan also includes:
How long did it take to get to that altitude? Using a Google Earth file, groups explore a space shuttle launch. Using a calculator, groups determine the function that models the altitude/time data from an actual launch. With the model in place, groups determine expected altitudes for given times.
- Discuss and explore the differences between scatter plots that can be modeled with linear, quadratic, and exponential functions
- Have class investigate whether the model would work past the time given
- The ascent trajectory tour requires access to Google Earth
- The appendix includes instructions on how to run the ascent trajectory tour
- Uses actual data instead of hypothetical data