Why Lesson Planet?
"But I don't know what to write about!" Now, there's a very familiar complaint. And here's a very creative solution. Young authors are given a writing prompt chart, spin three wheels that provide suggestions for the who, what, and where of narratives, and record these elements of character, plot, and setting on their chart. Writers then invent details, organize their ideas, and draft their story.
- Engage the entire class in the spin process, have individuals craft their own stories using the same basic story elements, and then have a whole-class sharing of the results
- Create poster-size wheels and post them in the classroom
- The resource assumes that young writers are familiar with the writing process, as well as elements of plot structures and methods of characterization
- The wheels provide over 1,700 different prompts
- The resource includes directions for how to use the spin-a-story wheels and charts, templates for the wheels and charts, and additional activities suggestions
- Spin-A-Story Tool
- Graphic Organizer