Earth's magnetic field protects people from solar wind, radiation, and many other potentially catastrophic events. For reasons not yet understood, the magnetic field appears measurably weaker over the course of less than 200 years, a tiny measurement of time geologically. Veritasium shows a scientist as he experiments to better predict Earth's magnetic field while avoiding a mildly catastrophic meltdown of his laboratory equipment.
- Watch the video after completing a few hands-on experiments with magnetic fields
- Relies on prior knowledge of Earth's layers and magnetic field
- Content ends at 6:36, and the remaining almost two minutes is an advertisement
- Highlights the importance of redundant safety systems in the laboratory
- Provides additional notes and more depth of knowledge in the video description