This Spring Scale Engineering lesson plan also includes:
- Lab & Experiment
- Join to access all included materials
After examining how a spring scale works, teams work together to design their own general measurement device. Reading material provides background information, but there is no part of the procedure in which learners handle an actual spring scale. Consider letting them do so in order to give them a fuller understanding of what they are to design. This activity can be done in a math class as part of a measurement unit, or in any physical science class.
- A picture of a homemade spring scale on the student worksheet gives groups an idea of where to start
- Fosters critical thinking and cooperation
- Meets Next Generation Science Standards in engineering and physical science
- The lesson plan lists a wide range of age groups to which it can be adapted to; however, it would probably be most beneficial for fifth-sixth graders