This Square Patios lesson plan also includes:
Build a patio from toothpicks and marshmallows to analyze functions! Learners look for patterns in the data as they create different size patios. As they discover patterns, they make connections between the different representations of functions. In 12 follow-up questions, they make observations, draw graphs, and use algebraic equations to determine how patterns will continue.
- Have students begin the activity individually and then form collaborative groups to compare data
- Instruct groups to present their findings with technology or on a poster board
- Materials include colored toothpicks, construction paper, and marshmallows
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides suggestions for differentiation and extension
- Includes both teacher and student resources with answer keys