This Stacking Cups activity & project also includes:
Facilitate an understanding of equality using a modeling task. After watching different-sized cups being stacked, learners use their math skills to determine when the height of each cup tower will be the same. Meant as an introduction to systems of linear equations, the task encourages learners to determine a modeling method.
- Bring in cups and recreate the task with a demonstration
- Have pupils measure the cups instead of providing the measurements
- Requires previous experience writing and solving equations
- Includes all information pertinent to the task
- Encourages multiple solution methods