This Students and Teachers 2 activities & project also includes:
Examine trends in student-to-teacher ratios over time. Building from the first task in the two-part series, classes now explore the pattern of student-to-teacher ratios using a non-linear function. After trying to connect the pattern to a polynomial function, learners realize the ratio does not fit these models. They then use a ratio to establish a rational function to achieve the asymptotic behavior of the graph. As a project-based learning task, they present their findings in an official report.
- Have individuals research the data for your specific school or region
- Requires both graphing calculators and Excel software
- Expects an understanding of rational functions and their behaviors
- Provides assignments with specific technology details for concepts used within the project
- Includes a set of videos to help those with limited Excel software experience
- Only uses data through 2007, making the information outdated and lessens the relevance of the conclusions