This Style-Shifting: Examining and Using Formal and Informal Language Styles lesson plan also includes:
Your high schoolers are probably versed in two languages: formal language, and informal conversation. Help them identify the correct language style for their audience and context with a thorough instructional activity and examples of different speech styles.
- Use the lesson before a unit on speaking in front of an audience, or when planning a presentation
- A good way to encourage learners to focus on their audience when writing
- Assign the extended activities, including videos and worksheets, as homework for your class to view before your instruction
- Some of the informal phrases may be a little dated by the time you use them
- Provides links to helpful videos, auxiliary resources, important worksheets, and related lessons, including a lesson about language in electronic messages
- Prompts critical thinking and the importance of author's voice in speaking and writing