Provide these templates as aids for pupils as they work to compose summaries of both stories and informational texts. The first two frames provide sentence starters to help learners structure their summaries and include all the necessary parts. The resource also includes a summary frame that requires learners to use key words to compose summaries and a page that focuses on comparing the points of view from several texts.
- Pick the template that works for your instruction and your learners
- Invite pupils to choose between the more structured frame and the key word summary; they can differentiate for themselves
- After filling out the frames, have students revise their summaries and write them on separate sheets of paper
- Have small groups or pairs fill out the frames to ease your class into summary writing, or fill one out as a class to start with
- These frames provide a solid starting point for writing summaries, especially when working with complex texts
- Comes with several options to choose from