This Taxonomy: Who is in My family? lab resource also includes:
Find similarities in seemingly unlike organisms. The second instructional activity in a series of 12 builds the concept of a taxonomy and explores the use of a dichotomous key. Learners begin in part one by attempting to group a set of 20 organisms. This provides the motivation to create a more methodical approach to grouping. Part two has individuals follow a dichotomous key and then create a key of their own.
- Begin with an explanation of vocabulary using a graphic organizer such as a Frayer model
- Expect pupils to work individually to allow for comparisons of decisions throughout the activity
- Requires set up of materials prior to the lesson
- Provides a teacher guide with sample solutions
- Includes all lab materials necessary for the lesson