A viewing of Disney’s 1993 film of The Adventures of Huck Finn launches an examination of the events in and themes of Mark Twain’s story. Viewers respond to prompts on a film story worksheet, engage in full-class discussions, and select a writing prompt from the provided menu.
- The discussion questions and assignments can be used with a unit study based on the reading of the novel
- The plan sidesteps the question of whether the novel is appropriate for middle school readers
- No suggestions are included for how to deal with the controversy over the language used and the stereotypical depiction of Jim
- Requires the purchase or rent of the 1993 Disney version of the film
Included Materials - Join to Access
- Supplemental Materials for The Adventures of Huck Finn