Reinforce reading comprehension with a instructional activity about The Archer and the Sun, a Chinese folktale. Kids learn some background information about Chinese culture before reading the story, and answer literacy questions as they read. Next, they focus on vowel sounds and the idea of day and night with science and art activities.
- Divide the activities into stations around your classroom, or address the relevant activities throughout the subjects of the day (Chinese culture during social studies, or Chinese fans during art)
- Use in a unit about folktales or pourquoi stories
- Contains some spelling errors in the lesson plan, but not in the student handouts
- One extension activity requires computers with Internet access
- Addresses multiple disciplines, including language arts, social studies, science, art, and drama
- Extension activities would be great homework assignments or projects for a literacy center