This The Coelacanth: A Living Fossil of a Fish video also includes:
It was just another day of fishing at the local pier when a man unknowingly reeled in a fish thought to be extinct for 65 million years. This short video explains how scientists were surprised to discover that this 360 million year old species had more in common with land dwelling vertebrates than other fish, representing a critical transition in the evolution of life on Earth.
- Watch this video during a biology unit on evolution
- Assign the video and assessment as a homework assignment, having a whole class discussion during the following lesson
- Use this video to introduce a project on other prehistoric animals and their place in the evolutionary puzzle
- Video uses informal language, making the content very accessible to students
- Animations are included that support the academic content, helping to engage young scientists
- Resource allows teachers to create customized lessons based on the video