How do you protect a probe from massive levels of radiation? Explore the possibilities with Bill Nye in a surprising video from the THNKR Why with Bill Nye! playlist. Learners discover the extreme levels of magnetism created by Jupiter's magnetic field, the mind-boggling amounts of radiation attracted to Jupiter, and how NASA shields the probe's delicate electronics with titanium metal.
- Use the video to support a lesson on radiation, magnetic fields, or technology
- Create your own demonstration that compares the strength of Earth's magnetic field to that of Jupiter
- Discuss the extreme pressure conditions needed to create metallic hydrogen with younger pupils
- Includes a demonstration of magnetic fields
- Uses terms and images appropriate for a variety of ages and abilities to explain the concept