Fats are essential to a balanced diet and help bodies use certain vitamins as well as maintain healthy skin and hair. While watching the video, learners explore fat, which is certainly talked about a lot in terms of health. The narrator explains the atomic structure and make-up of saturated fats and unsaturated fats and then explains how these differences affect the body. He then discusses trans fats, polyunsaturated fats, monounsaturated fats, and omega-3 fatty acids and each of their roles in the health of the human body.
- Ask classes to research one of the following topics and share findings with the class: When will trans fats be completely banned in the United States? How much fat should we consume daily? What are food sources of each type of fat?
- Great video to use during a unit on health and wellness or on biomolecules
- The narrator speaks very quickly; closed captioning helps all learners follow along
- If you turn on auto-translate in settings, the video can be viewed in closed captioning in many different languages
- Video is full of interesting and useful information