Determine how much a linear transformation alters area. The seventh segment in a series of 15 makes the connection between the determinant and the scale factor of areas during a linear transformation. The video goes on to explain the geometric interpretation of negative and zero determinants.
- Pause the video at 3:05 and ask classmates to discuss what the meaning would be if the determinant was zero
- The class should already be familiar with linear combinations
- It is helpful if class members already know the computational aspect of determinants
- Provides an explanation of the formula for computation of determinants
- Includes the geometric interpretation of the determinant in three dimensions