This The Discovery of Fullerenes lesson plan also includes:
Carbon is the most common element on earth, so the innovative discovery of a new type of carbon molecule won the 1996 Nobel Prize. In the ready-to-go lesson, scholars learn about C60 and how it has opened up the entire area of nanotechnology research. After reading and answering questions, pupils make their own buckyball in a hands-on activity.
- Bring in a commercially available buckyball and a soccer ball and let learners guess how they are related and why they are being used in chemistry
- The lesson would be easy to hand to a substitute with no prior knowledge of the subject
- The resource would best fit when studying carbon or before introducing nanotechnology
- Lesson five in a six-lesson set
- Answer key is provided
- Resource includes lesson on measurement prefixes