This The Fibre Optic Cable Class lesson plan also includes:
Many people know that fiber optics are used in delivering the Internet, but are surprised to learn they are also used in astronomy. Scholars explore light, reflection, and fiber optics through hands-on activities. They discuss methods of communication, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and the challenges of creating technology for both research and everyday communication.
- Encourage the continuation of citizen science at home with Galaxy Zoo or any other online program
- Review the dangers of lasers before shining and reflecting a laser around the room
- Requires all but two class members to have a mirror they can simultaniously hold
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- Provides links to videos on each of the topics discussed
- Engaging activities encourage problem solving and higher level thinking