This The Grand Challenge: Fix the Hip Challenge lesson plan also includes:
It may be time to get to know the skeletons in your family. The first lesson in a series of 5, introduces the class to the concept of osteoporosis. The class members brainstorm possible causes and whether the family should be concerned whether they may also have the same condition. Videos provide some background information as the class begins to learn more about the condition.
- Create groups that research osteoporosis
- With the aid of a local orthopedic doctor, develop a case study on a person with osteoporosis for the class to examine
- The class members should understand the relationships of negative numbers
- The resource contains a vocabulary list with definitions
- The post-lesson assessment utilizes journaling — a great skill!