At over 450 pages, John Steinbeck's Pulitzer Prize winning novel The Grapes of Wrath can be a challenging choice for full-class, book circle, or independent reading. The activities in a 10-page sample The Grapes of Wrath activity pack are designed to keep readers engaged and accountable for their reading.
- As homework, ask class members to draw a map showing the journey of the turtle in Chapter Three, including its direction, key details, and significant encounters
- Use the maps to launch a discussion about why Steinbeck might have included the inner chapter, and how the chapter might predict future events
- The sample packet includes worksheets for five different activities
- The entire activity pack is available for purchase
- The activities focus on how Steinbeck uses color imagery, suspense-building techniques, and foreshadowing to develop his themes