No, the hero shrew doesn't fly or rescue people from burning buildings. In fact, scientists are not quite sure what it does with its amazing adaptation! Take a closer look at a rodent with a most unusual spine with a video from a larger mammals playlist. The narrator discusses where to find the hero shrew, how it differs from other shrew, and what we think is the reason for its super-strong spinal column.
- Add the video to an adaptations or evolution lesson for a perfect example of both topics
- Provide pictures of a variety of other shrew so the class can compare them
- Students should know a little about evolution and physical adaptations before watching the video
- The resource does a fantastic job of illustrating the evolutionary process
- Scientists in the video explain how a hypothesis is generated and worked on across many labs and research teams