This The Lowdown — Living Wages in CA: Ratio and Rate in the Real World handout & reference also includes:
How much money is enough money? Future wage earners explore the minimum hourly wage and then use it to calculate monthly and yearly earnings. They use an interactive to consider living costs and determine whether earning a minimum wage would be enough to cover living expenses. The helpful resource is part of the Math at the Core MS: Ratios playlist.
- Have the class research the minimum wage and living costs in their local areas
- Scholars must have experience with ratios and rates
- Be cognizant of the socioeconomic status of learners in the class
- Provides an optional extension activity
- Interactive is easy to interpret
- Pupils not living in California may not find interactive to be relevant