This The Meaning of America: Freedom and Religion lesson plan also includes:
- Lesson Plan
- Join to access all included materials
The United States of America was founded on firm ideals of both the pursuit of happiness and a spirit of reverence. Through a close reading of Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The May-Pole of Merry Mount," you can examine what some consider was a "culture war" between these two ideals in the early stages of the new nation. After giving a brief overview of the story, work with your readers through the text using the guided questions provided by this resource.
- Includes a video seminar, where your class can watch participants engage in high-level discourse regarding the story
- Well-constructed discussion questions
- Text, guiding questions, and video excerpts structured clearly for instructor use
- Text itself is a bit difficult - you may want to brief your class with background information as well as use a more guided, rather than independent, reading process