Imagine waking up to find a giant bug staring back at you in the mirror! Think about the plight of Franz Kafka's Gregor in The Metamorphosis with a group discussion activity. Class members reflect on what it would be like to suddenly become an enormous insect, and the ways the transformation would affect them if they were separated from their families.
- Have individuals turn the activity into a narrative essay
- Ask readers to reflect on the last few discussion questions, and write about a time when they felt alienated or isolated from the people they love
- The situation is based explicitly on events in the novel; make the activity more general or work specifically with the theme of alienation
- The resources comes with a separate handout complete with thoughtful discussion questions
- Prompts readers to put themselves in the place of the main character