Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis is one of the most prominent and influential books to come out of the existential movement. Host a group discussion in which learners list different characteristics of existent art, group these tenets, and then provide a label for their groupings.
- Have class members research other examples of existential literature
- Create a graphic organizer for learners to record examples that represent existential thought
- The activity is based on a prior lesson about existentialism
- Consider pairing the activity with a social studies unit or flipped classroom lesson where class members watch a lecture on existentialism out of class
- A good opportunity to create a cross-curricular activity
- Encourages critical thinking and group work
- The activity presumes that class members have prior knowledge of existential thought