PEMDAS is not all that it is cracked up to be. The short video provides an argument that the order of operations may not be instructionally sound. The presentation shows that understanding the concepts and properties of mathematics builds a better understanding than simply performing rote operations dictated by a rule.
- Stop the video at 0:18 to have the class discuss their thoughts about what they just heard
- Have class members perform calculations and list the mathematical property used
- An advertisement takes up the last 25 seconds of the video
- Shows how the order of operations helps reduce redundant parentheses
- Includes examples of how understanding of mathematics will always provide the same answer