This The Parched Plains lesson plan also includes:
How do meteorologists differentiate between droughts and dry spells? Introduce the concepts of weather forecasting and prediction with an insightful research-based lesson plan from the K20 series. Partners synthesize individual research from past drought events to make claims about weather and climate.
- Show a Dust Bowl documentary to add a historical element to the lesson
- Ask groups to come up with a list of all of the things that could be affected by a drought prior to beginning the lesson, then reflect on it afterward
- As the resources focus on Oklahoma's history of droughts, you may want to modify this to include information about local or regional drought periods
- Review the effects of high and low atmospheric pressure systems if students have not used this information recently
- Lesson contains excellent methods for researching data and communicating it effectively
- The PSA assessment is a fun way to wrap up the lesson