This The Particle Theory of Matter lesson plan also includes:
Demonstrate the particle theory of matter to high school scientists with an engaging experiment that allows them to visually see the results as substances change from one state to another. The class concludes with a discussion about how these changes occur while scholars create visual aids to depict what they witnessed.
- Have class members use different materials to recreate each state of matter; examples are rice, beans, pasta, and hard candies
- Discuss the relationship between atoms and particles as the activity progresses
- Isopropyl alcohol should not be ingested or placed near a flammable area
- The ability to visualize changes in matter allows learners to better understand the concepts presented
- Experiment may be adapted as needed for time management