Is money the root of all evil, or the answer to everyone's dreams? Analyze the role of money in John Steinbeck's The Pearl with a writing prompt where kids imagine that they have won the lottery, and must think about the ways it will affect their lives.
- Use as a writing prompt before you begin the novel
- Have kids expand their writing exercise into a narrative story
- The questions are a little simplistic for high schoolers—consider expanding them or elaborating on the prompt
- Interesting prompt that most kids will be eager to write about
- Good way to connect personal experience with literary themes