Don't underestimate the power of a driven mother. Learn how Mendeleev's mother helped him enter college and how she passed her passion to her son, helping him to believe in his theories. Discover the contributions he made to our current knowledge of the periodic table of the elements.
- Use video as an introduction to the periodic table and its arrangement, following with questions and more exploration of the arrangement
- After the video, place learners in pairs and hand each pair a stack of cards for the first 20 elements from the periodic table; ask pairs to order the elements, justifying their answer
- Classroom must have a computer, Internet access, and a projection system
- An engaging video due to the interesting history of Mendeleev and his upbringing
- The video focuses on Mendeleev and his contribution to the format of the periodic table rather than showing how the periodic table is arranged