This The Pilgrims: European Plague in Native New England, 1616-1619 video also includes:
Before the Pilgrims' arrival to New England, a vicious plague swept across New England and wiped out over 50% of the Native American people from Maine to Massachusetts. Watch a video that examines this devastation and the role it played in American history.
- Take a closer look at who the Wampanoag peoples were here
- Have learners research other plagues that have wiped out nations, villages, communities, etc. throughout history
- Preview the video to make sure it is appropriate for viewers as there are images of bones of Native Americans
- Part of a series of videos from the American Experience: The Pilgrims collection
- Student handout is editable
- Sheds light on a part of history that is often forgotten or even unknown to most